National Tortini Day is February 13th. A tortini is a small tort so aptly named from Italy. I found a variety of recipes and yes, I know I have not been sharing any of mine as of late, but since I do not often go off to make Plum Pudding (for Feb. 12th nor Tortinis any time soon, I had to go off and search the web for you to share this information…
Upon my researching, I found both savory and sweet tortini recipes – and with this recipe, there is no using the oven.
Now since we are so close to Valentine’s Day, I found a lovely recipe for Chocolate Tortinis…let’s get started!
- 3 egg whites
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 tsp vanilla essence/extract
- 3/4 cup ground almonds
- 1 1/2 tsp almond essence/extract
- Take the eggs out of the refrigerator and separate the whites while they are still cold, then allow them to stand in a bowl at room temperature for about an hour to come to room temperature.
- Place the sugar and water in a saucepan and stir over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved. Add cocoa powder.
- Bring to the boil and let boil uncovered until the syrup spins a fine thread when dropped from a spoon.
- Beat the egg whites with added 1/4 teaspoon of salt until stiff peaks form.
- Then pour the hot syrup in a thin stream over them beating constantly until the mixture forms very thick peaks when the beaters are raised.
- Cover the mixture and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Combine the almond essence and the ground almonds, mixing well.
- Whip the heavy whipping cream and flavor with the vanilla and fold into the egg white mixture blending evenly.
- Spoon into paper lined miniature muffin tins and sprinkle the top of each Biscuit Tortini with a little grated chocolate and a cherry.
- Freeze until firm and then enjoy.
Also this day in history for February 13th:
1851 George Brown Goode was born. He was the editor of ‘The Fisheries and Fisheries Industries of the United States’ while Deputy Commissioner of the U.S. Commission of Fish and Fisheries.
1933 The House of Commons defeated a bill that would have prohibited the sale of alcohol in the U.K.
1967 The Beatles single ‘Strawberry Fields Forever’ is released.
1971 ‘One Bad Apple’ by the Osmonds reached Number 1 on the charts.
2000 The last original ‘Peanuts’ comic strip is published.