My guy adores beets, and I encourage him to eat as many beets as he ever wants due to the beets’ abilities to lower cholesterol quickly. This is a fun dish, easy to make, sweet and bright and super colorful.
- 5-8 raw beets medium sized to be peeled and sliced.
- Large pot of water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- juice of one lemon
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 scallions
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (preferred) or parsley
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- This recipe yields about 5 cups of cooked and chilled beets
- There are two streams of thought in cooking beets, cooking them whole, then peeling which brings more vitamits to its water which is great to use in smoothies or peel first, then slice and cook which is what I do.
- I still reserve the beet water – which as mentioned can be used to add to fruit smoothies, as a cleansing tonic for doing cleansing diets or quite frankly to use as a dye when crafting….
- I used my cuisine art to slice up beets quickly after I peeled them.
- Place sliced beets in pot, add enough water to cover.
- Add sugar and salt and allow to come to a boil.
- Reduce heat and allow to cook on a medium simmer until they are just fork tender – maybe 10 minutes depending upon how much you are cooking at once.
- Strain reserving juice.
- Place now cooked beets into bowl and allow to cool completely in the refrigerator.
- Once chilled,take out and add vinegar, chopped garlic, chopped scallions and chopped parsley, stir till combined.
- Add additional salt if necessary and serve.
- Keeps quite well in the fridge for up to one week in a sealed container.
- I served this up last Saturday as a side dish at my guy’s b-day party – I was shocked at how well it went over….
- Super healthy beets are great for you, filled with vitamins and the ability to lower bad cholesterol.