And here’s yet another lovely easy dessert to make that has so many possibilities. Vanilla Custard can be used as a base for a pie and ice cream, used as a filling in doughnuts and creme puffs, a favorite of mine. Comprising of eggs, sugar, milk and cream, using a real vanilla bean helps makes an outstanding vanilla custard.
Vanilla Custard also can be called by many names including crème pâtissière, stirred custard, boiled custard, soft custard, light custard or creme anglaise and even flan. But by any name, vanilla custard is a wonderful and tasty base for a variety of desserts such as floating island, – though I prefer my vanilla custard in a pudding setting or as a pie…
So here is my recipe for great Vanilla Custard Pie:
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups of scaled whole milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons of good pure vanila extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 Prepared Unbaked Pie Shell – thoroughly chilled
- Heat milk and slightly scald milk.
- In bowl, beat eggs and add sugar and salt, stir till combined.
- Slowly stir in hot scaled milk, then add vanilla.
- Strain mixture and pour into chilled pastry shell and sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Bake on lower shelf in hot oven at 425 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until custard is firm.