Archive for June 2008
For those who love a nice refreshing beverage, here’s a nice cool pineapple one! Put your glasses or mugs into the freezer to really make your drinks make that splash with your guests or family and friends at your house tonight! This is my version of an oldie but goodie recipe!
- 6+ sprigs of fresh mint
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 4 cups unsweetened pineapple juice
- 2 cups ginger ale (diet is fine too, or flavored seltzer)
- 1 cup Alcohol of your choice – Bourbon is traditional, but I would use vodka or white rum too with super excellent results.
- Wooden spoon or wooden potato masher
- Put rinsed mint into pitcher, take leaves off their stems.
- Add lemon zest.
- Add sugar on top of mint and zest.
- Mash for at least one or two minutes really well, bruising the mint.
- Add lemon juice and let stand for 15 minutes.
- This is when you call your GF to come on over for early evening drinks if you already haven’t done so.
- Add pineapple juice, ginger ale.
- ***For extra decadence, wet rims of cold glasses with a little of pineapple juice or lemon, then place glass down into small plate with a little sugar so that the rims are covered in sugar.
- Put ice into drinks, add alcohol to desired amount, then add mix into drink.
- Add fresh sprig of lime.
- Makes almost 8 cups, enough for 4 people having two drinks.
- Photo from timeinc.com
Who knew – the wonder’s of mayonnaise – full flavor and all the fat please – but do you have rings on your good furniture – we have used this trick for years – and it really works fantastic…no need to restain your antiques.
- 2-3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 or 2 paper towels
- 6 hours or more needed to let stain be naturally removed… see below
- Locate ring from leaving your favorite ice tea or other cold drink that has now left a water mark on your Grandmother’s passed down antique table top.
- Grab full fat mayonnaise (miracle whip ok too here folks)
- Spread 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise covering water ring.
- Gently place paper towel over water ring and slabbed on mayo- it’s more to remind you that the mayonnaise is there than anything else while keeping the area moist.
- We used to leave it over night, but by 6 hours, wipe clean and voila, water ring is removed.
- Why does this work??? The fat in the mayonnaise gently gets reabsorbed into the water ring mark leaving you and your favorite antique table top looking fantastic…
- This is great in the summer when people forget to use coasters under their iced drinks…